Tuesday 15 November 2011

Venison......

Been a while since my last ramblings and it's laziness that is the issue here rather than anything else as I've had plenty of time even with our new arrival.

I must admit fatherhood is really quite special. Sophie is a complete angel too, she hardly makes a noise and sleeps right through the night.

Instead of people telling us how much sleep we are going to lose and how hard it is they've now switched tack to let us know that it's the teething that's hell, oh and the terrible twos blah blah blah.

So for those reading this I'm genuinely very sorry that you've had such a torrid time bringing up your children but please stop trying to wish that on me. Perhaps there is a chance that Sophie might change and start playing up but at the moment she's not and if her parents are anything to go by then she's not really likely too either. Maybe use it as a good news story to other future parents :-)

So onto the food.....The following is the latest article I've had printed in the Food Monthly magazine and it's all about my favourite meat Venison. In the magazine they followed up my piece with a couple of recipes from the UK's number one game fanatic Mike Robinson of the Pot Kiln in Yattenden. He's a big influence on me and I'm a big fan so I was so chuffed when I saw it. I felt privileged to share a stage with him at RSC and now to share printed page space is just off the radar.

-----------------------------------

At this time of year when autumn is turning to winter I think of all things homely and heart-warming.

I think of evenings being encircled by my friends, family or both around candle lit dining tables being gradually warmed by the flickering glow of an open fire. All the while there will be a convivial babble of conversation interspersed with those hearty laughs that’ll inevitably explode out with ever increasing gusto as the evenings repast is quaffed down with a few fine ales or perhaps a bottle or two of hearty red wine.

On these occasions the food needs to fit the mood and to me that means rich, full flavoured meat. A roast chicken could be switched in favour of a brace of seasonal pheasant and if you’ve never tried it or fancy having a go at something a little daring and different how about swapping that beef or lamb joint for a nice piece of venison?

Before you think “I can’t eat Bambi” here a few facts which might sway you into overlooking any sentimental feelings you might have about Hollywood’s most famous ruminant.

Firstly venison is very low in fat; it has less fat than a skinned breast of chicken.
Secondly iron levels are higher and cholesterol levels are lower than in any other red meat.

The term venison itself derives from the Latin verb “venari” meaning “to hunt” and it originally referred to the flesh of any hunted animal, it still does in many parts of Europe; indeed the French still include wild boar under the same tag although on British shores venison is used exclusively to describe the meat of the deer species.

Farmed venison is a little milder in flavour than wild but both are available all year round. Supermarket stocked venison will tend to be of the farmed variety and have a uniform taste however my advice would be to visit your local butcher and ask for some wild venison. The depth of flavour that comes from a free roaming animal and its mixed diet really adds complexity to the whole eating experience.

In texture venison is very much like beef and the comparative joints can be cooked in the same way although due to the much leaner fat content in venison extra care should be taken not to overcook it as the result will be less than desirable. Regular basting, larding or wrapping in bacon is essential for slow roasting joints and cooking a steak to any more than medium should certainly be avoided.

The taste of venison can again be likened to that of beef with a slightly richer and gamier tang and it’s that richness of flavour that brings a certain amount of luxurious decadence to the spread.

Serve up a whole roasted joint and surround it with bowls of buttered seasonal vegetables and lashings of viscous red wine jus.

Of all the entries in the diary of Samuel Pepys that mention venison I think this sums it up perfectly for me -

“At the Clerk’s chamber I met with Simons and Luellin, and went with them to Mr. Mount’s chamber at the Cock Pit, where we had some rare pot venison, and ale to abundance till almost twelve at night, and after a song round we went home.”

-----------------------------------

I'm about to submit my piece for the Christmas special and I've kept on the theme of thing I love and written about Brussels sprouts. I've included some recipes that I hope will also make the cut......and also make it onto your dinner tables.

Toodlepip..

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to see you, Carley and Sophie on Saturday, I will make sure i pop round to Twyford for a proper catch up soon, much love.

    And yes, Sophie is adorable but don't let anyone know I said that, I am still northern.

    ReplyDelete