Sunday 5 February 2012

Lack of connections...

Please excuse me for the lack of updates. I've been wanting to however I have literally been working all the hours of the day since Monday and it doesn't help that there is almost zero internet connection at the pub. There is a Vodafone dongle available but honestly it's like trying to run through 4 ft of treacle.

I've done every service since Tuesday morning on my own which in itself hasn't been too bad. OK the business is slow but it's not been helped at all by the weather, particularly over the last two snowy days. The main thing however is the toll all the washing up and cold weather has taken on my hands, they are like lizard hands, well not quite but you get what I mean. I should be wearing gloves and given the time I would but it's that time that's lacking.

I've decided to take down the menu boards and print out a different menu sheet everyday, mainly to use up stock but also to introduce new dishes. There is just so much to do in other parts of the kitchen especially where health and safety is concerned, it's not dirty in anyway but the CIEH (Chartered institute for environmental health) require quite a few records and procedures to be written and that just hasn't been kept up. I should have it all re-written and ready to go tomorrow and after that it's just a case of sticking to the basic hygiene tasks, keeping the logs and doing the checks each day. It'll be a huge weight off when done.

Our new till system is being installed on Tuesday which will require staff training, not so much for functionality but more for what to do is mistakes are made. The system is really really good as it links the till system to the accountancy to the stocktaking, it's pretty unique for this kind of smaller venue as it'd probably be considered something that only a big chain pub might employ. It has a set up fee and a flat price each month but for what it actually does it's cost is very low. The area manager of Wadworths looked dumbfounded when we explained it to him because he couldn't believe we'd have a package that does what it does for the amount it costs.

Still absolutely desperate for kitchen staff. It's not like we need anybody massively experienced either, just someone who can follow a few simple recipes and be able to build dishes from pre-prepared ingredients. I still love being in there but I only have one more week off work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment