Tuesday 30 August 2011

Food & Drink...

Quite a nice chilled weekend just gone. Played our penultimate game of the cricket season on Saturday and I seem to have hit my peak right at the end of the proceedings, hopefully I can carry the form into next year but alas saving relegation was never possible.

Sunday was the highlight of the weekend as we went over to the Wokingham food & drink festival. They had plenty going on there for people of all ages, activities for the kids, various stall selling homemade and/or local produce and a bar serving up local ales which reminds me I must pop over to Bingham's Brewery to pick up some of the wonderful beer they had on show.

The main reason we went was to catch the cookery demo by Tony and Sally Cole from LSQ2. A great job they did too cooking up my two favourite dishes off the menu. I'm going to be trying out my own variation of the Pork Belly and Scotch Quails Eggs myself this evening so I'll get the recipe for these up sometime this week.

It would have been so easy just to lay around all day yesterday as I had the inevitable aches from cricket and with just 8 weeks to go until our new arrival Carley wasn't exactly full of beans either but we did manage to muster the energy for a walk down to Waitrose to pick up a spot of lunch and also for a meander around in search of the evenings meal.

We went for confit duck in the end as it's such a comfort food especially when served up with celeriac mash, peas and a red wine jus. Of course I cheated with the confit and just bought the canned variety which is perfectly fine although not as good as doing the whole process yourself. I blogged about how to do this a while back so a quick search will find you the method, it really is the best way to eat duck.



A can containing two portions of confit duck at Waitrose comes in at a hefty £9.99 but if you bear in mind the amount of duck fat you get to keep for those perfect roast potatoes or crunchy chips then personally I think it's money well spend.





Another reason we're glad we went to the food & drink festival was because of the amazing gadget we came across. It's called the "Wean Machine" and it's a rather brilliant little invention for feeding small sprogs when you are on the go.




There is a lot more information about the product on their website but here's the demo video with the inventor who was at the festival on Sunday.






Getting excited about baby products must mean we're close :-)


As for my own cookery demos I'm delighted to have been asked to participate as a cook and presenter at the food4familes Reading town meal on the 1st October being held in Forbury Gardens.

There will be three other former Reading, Steady, Cook participants taking part along with myself which is just brilliant and there will be other demos from the irrepressible Paul Clerehugh as well as some from the students at Reading College so as you can tell it's going to be a feast of all things local.

It's not all about the cookery demos either because there will be plenty of other things going on for people of all ages and if you fancy getting involved yourself then pop along to their website and you can find all the contact info you need right there as well as info on the event itself.

So until I'm back with a wonderful Pork Belly recipe for y'all that's it, you're all up to date...............Toodlepip xx

No comments:

Post a Comment