Thursday 26 May 2011

A bit of a tasty evening ahead....

More foodie exploits ahead tonight when I'll be attending a taster evening at LSQ2 for the launch of their new menu. I'm really glad I managed to get a table because the whole event sold out within around 90 minutes of it being announced.

I've eluded to the website and Facebook page on the blog before but I'm still impressed by their design and the photography in both. The same company are going to be looking after my sites.

The menu itself is so varied and it all sounds wonderful so I'm going to have a struggle choosing what to have !! Best get there early I reckon, especially as there is a Champagne reception.

Following that I'll be heading over the The Forbury Hotel where my buddy is having catch up drinks. He's been away for 5 months working in Indonesia and I picked him up from Heathrow this morning. I'm informed that 10 bottles of Dom Perignon have been pre-ordered and are all expected to be consumed.........booking tomorrow off work really was a good idea.

Following on from my write up about the West Indian Womens Circle yesterday I'm going to keep working back through my schedule and put down a few words about The Warwick Thai Bar & Restaurant.

I believe that the bar used to be operated by Greene King as a friend of mine was the tenant there for a while but since then it's changed hands an is now being run by Spirit House.

Their website states - "Just in case you were wondering, a Spirit House is a Thai home for any previous Spirit occupants of your building. So as not to anger the dispossessed beings, suitable accommodation is thus provided, allowing a harmonious living arrangement for all."

The Thai influences are seen in the decor and of course in the food. I've not actually eaten in the Warwick but I have indulged myself plenty of times at their other establishment The Moderation in Caversham. In fact the only time I have been in the Warwick since Spirit House took over was to take part in the first round of Reading, steady, cook 2010.

The Lyndhurst Arms just on the edge of Reading town centre completes Spirit House's pub triple making them a big name in the Reading independent pub circuit. I certainly remember my first ever experience of The Moderation which was during my very first trip to Caversham when I was considering moving down from Watford. I had a room viewing just around the corner and I was a little early so I popped into the pub for a pint.

There we're guys in there with tattoos on top of tattoos. Well at least they looked like guys. I was wearing far too little leather and felt just a little bit to hygienic to really fit in so supped up quick and decided it was probably best to wait outside the house.

I also remember going in there once before heading into Reading festival. I ordered a pint of Guinness and I noticed that the glass actually had a hole in the bottom of it, not sure how that happened, maybe it hit a pointy object but anyway I pointed it out to the person (again not sure of actually sex) behind the bar to which the reply was "Well you better drink it a bit bloody faster then ain't ya"

Aaaah those were the days.........Anyway now it's completely different. The decor is stunning, the outside area is nice and cosy and the food is way above average in standard and very reasonably priced. You can have two courses and a drink for £10 on Monday night over at the Mod anyway.

As it happens the day before the RSC 1st round at The Warwick I was speaking to Andy (Part owner of Spirit House) at The Moderation and I was delighted to hear him say that they always try, whenever possible, to source their produce locally from local producers and I was even more delighted to see that they stocked wine from Twyford's Stanlake Vinyard. I live just down the road from the Stanlake Park Wine Estate and they really do make a good drop of English wine which can quiet easily compete with some of Europe's best.

So that's it for today. I'll be back tomorrow with not only a stinking Champagne hangover but a review of the evening at LSQ2 and some words about Vintage Roots Organic Wine Merchants......toodlepip xx

No comments:

Post a Comment