Wednesday 4 May 2011

On the web....

So I'm very close now to getting one of my websites up and running. I've sorted out my web hosting and I've got www.designerkitchengoods.com registered in my name. Just waiting for it all to get linked up then I'll be ready to start the website design.

Having never done this type of thing before it a great learning curve. As a novice it all seems very confusing from the start and you tend to go off track and lose interest when things go over your head but all of a sudden the penny drops and you find yourself enthused once more and ready to take on the world again.

Just getting a site up takes a bit of time and effort but then after that you have to really get involved with learning how to promote the site and the products on it and that's the bit I'm starting to get to grips with now. It's all about keywords and phrases that get you up the rankings in Google ultimately in search of that all important number 1 listing.

Thankfully there are many programs out there that can help you out with this including Google itself and there are some other software applications that will automatically do it all for you, of course you have to pay a premium for this and if it makes financial sense to use them I think I may very well do that once I get more websites launched and more products to sell.

Selecting the products and choosing your market is also very important because aiming the wrong product at the wrong person is obviously bound to fail so it's all about research and using the tools provided to try and exploit that all important niche.

It's not about taking on the big boys like Amazon and making millions because that'd just be a ridiculous thing to attempt. For me it's about learning something new and nurturing something from the ground up, ultimately if it ends up earning a few quid then great but that's not my immediate goal.......it'd be bloomin brilliant if it did though :-)

I really need to get the design right though because I've already made enquiries with several brands who like my idea (as I'm sure they do thousands of others each and every day) but they want to see the site first so once the hosting is linked to my domain I'll be able to get cracking. What brands I hear you ask ?!?!? Well John Lewis and Cath Kidston are just a couple. Why them? Because I like them and for no other reason than that. I'm not going to go promoting something that I don't like just because I'll get a good commission, probably not the best entrepreneurial approach but doing that would be dishonest and that's not me at all.

This blog is already too long and I was going to give you a recipe on a rather wonderful prawn dish I rustled up last night but that can wait until tomorrow.

Toodlepip xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment