Monday 9 May 2011

MEAT.......

I know the weekend is going to creep up pretty quickly so I've ordered my meat in preparation for the BBQ I am catering for on Saturday. I think burger, sausage, pork belly rib, two chicken wings and a king prawn kebab on each plate should be a welcome repast. With some home made potato salad, coleslaw, roasted vegetable cous cous and some tomato & fennel salad I think that's quite a spread.

Perfectly manageable for 70 people too as I'm going to pre-cook most of it in the water bath meaning that I'll only be colouring an heating through on the day ensuring that everything is fully cooked and bacteria free whilst at the same time getting that smoky BBQ flavour. Sous vide.....it's the future (I've said that before haven't I?)

Cooking this way is not only going to make my life easier and ensure there are no meanies in the meat it's also going to make the wings and ribs so amazingly tender. They be nothing like the normal chewy quickly cooked hardly in-edibles you get at garden BBQ's. The wings will be cooked for a minimum of 1 hour at 76.5C and the ribs at 68C for 24 hours before they even see a flame.....melt in your mouth yummyness.

Luckily my water bath is nice and big otherwise doing all this in many batches would be cutting it a bit fine. I reckon I'll have 55 hours to prepare......if I don't sleep :-)

I ordered all the meat (apart from the prawns) from www.devonrose.com they are a fantastic free range and organic farm based in Devon. Tremendous value and great produce, they supply many high end London butchers shops as well as directly to top chefs including the amazing Michelin starred Tom Aikens and also Mark Hix.

Take a look, they do a delivery hamper which you can have direct to your door each week.

In other news the weekend went well. Played cricket on Saturday and although we lost it was a tremendous game and despite scoring zero off the bat I did take a couple of catches and felt I was pretty faultless in the field working hard for the bowlers and not letting any stray runs pass me by, also didn't end up in A&E this time around.

Website hosting is done and it's as such it's live although it has only a basic wordpress theme at the moment and it's not really the look I want so I'll be speaking to somebody about jazzing this up prior to adding proper content. I can't have it looking shoddy. I want it very basic in format but still vibrant and pleasing on the eye.

Only a few weeks now until we find out if we need to get blue or pink stuff for little Bumpski. My Mum has been clickety clicking away with the knitting and crochet needles making some dainty little goodies and Carley is looking beautiful as all expectant mums do......except better because she's mine :-)

Anyway must dash......toodlepip xx

No comments:

Post a Comment