Tuesday 12 October 2010

Awards.....

Wasn't sure what to blog about today. I have a huge rant building up inside of me but I'm not entirely sure what it is about?!? Keep them peeled because within the next couple of days it's going to burst out like that horrible slimy thing that erupted from Sigourney Weavers chest in Alien.

Today I'll just take a break from the normal self-appreciative, arrogant and narcissistic nature of my usual blogs and try to wax lyrical about somebody whom I have a great deal of time and respect for and someone for whom I was very fortunate to be invited along to see crowned as Reading's first food hero......Mr Paul Clerehugh.

He pretty much single-handedly bought good food to Reading and continues to do so. His association with the Primary school close to his Crooked Billet restaurant in Stoke Row preceded Jamie Oliver's foray into the field by many years and it's an association that continues to this day providing the children with good healthy meals using fresh produce from his own small holding. It's no wonder that he was asked to be a consultant for the second series of Jamies School Dinners.

What I really like about him and can relate to is his passion for life itself and his desire to let nothing stand in the way of his vision. At this time in my life particularly he's an inspiration and a guiding light.

Hard work and passion has got him to where he is today and he's showing no signs of slowing down.

PC is only the second pub chef ever to win the highly coveted Craft Guild of Chefs award. Previous winners include Paul Gayler, Brian Turner, Anton Mosimann and Raymond Blanc and that is quite some company to keep I think you'd agree.

Anyway Paul manages to do all this but still retain a very humble and gracious demeanour which is why he's admired by so many and fully deserving of this award.

Bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment