Monday 4 October 2010

Weekend

Well what a weekend that was.

Normally that headline would indicate a couple of very late nights interspersed with incredibly loud music and ending up on random sofas in the houses of people I've never met or am ever likely too again.

Nope this was something else. Friday night and indeed Friday day was all a bit of a mad rush around and I ended up speed walking to Copa Bar in Reading in time to make the 7pm DJ slot I had with my good buddy Kevin. Twas the birthday party of my amazingly beautiful and lovely friend Carrie (AKA Lemon Drizzle Cake).

The only unfortunate thing about that is that I had to leave early because I had cookery demo numero deux on Saturday morning and just had to be on the ball.

As for the demo itself I really do not think it could have gone any better. I was all miked up and got well into the chatting whilst cooking....I was like Madonna with a frying pan.

Started the demo off with a bacon, carrot and potato cake topped with a poached egg and I must say that the poached egg was perfection.....even got a round of applause when it was broken and the yolk poured out. Mind you I have to say it probably had more to do with the absolutely perfect organic eggs that were supplied by Bloomfield Hatch Farm they really are something else.

The carrots too were great, really nicely coloured and ever so sweet. The bite that they added to the potato cake was wonderful. They along with the potatoes came from Pagets farm which is based in Devizes, Wiltshire. They don't have a website but they are regulars at the local farmers markets so the next time you UK readers go to one....which I assume will be at the weekend......then do yourself a favour and get some of their goodies.

Next up I made a couple of apple crumbles which turned out a bit better than I expected. Nice crust on top of a deliciously gooey crumble and filled with a delightfully sweet and chunky apple and cinnamon syrup....................Oooh that does sound a bit "Nigella" doesn't it? Served that up with a whipped Chantilly cream which I definitely did not spill upon a black lace negligée then lick temptingly off a my full cupped bosom whilst fluttering my eyelashes at the camera.

For the life of me I cannot remember the farm that supplied the apple or indeed the variety but they were the most popular stall in the market by far. The queue to their display must have been 20 deep which was handy as they were right opposite me.

To finish I did a Fillet Steak with Wild Mushroom and Marsala cream sauce...pretty damn special if I say so myself......did get one criticism saying it was a bit chewy from and octogenarian with no teeth (I kid you not) but other than that it was all "Ohh" and "Aahh".

Weekend was topped of with some beers with buddies on Sunday.

Early nights and waking up without a hangover is absolutely the way forward.

1 comment:

  1. I cooked myself a perfect poached egg too following your instructions at the demo! The apple farm is Cross Lanes they have an open day on Sunday (10th October) worth a visit. Can't help you on the variety of apple you used!

    ReplyDelete