Thursday 17 March 2011

Oz update....

Well excuse me for being a bit lax in the blog department. I've not yet bumped into the guys whom I'm renting my holiday studio off to get an access code for the wifi so I'm having to do what I can whenever I get a connection. At the moment this means walking into the town and using the library wifi which is great because it gets me out and about.

So the first few days here were pretty hot. According to the weather forecast it was only about 22 or 23 degrees but with the depleted ozone above Victoria I alluded to in my last post it felt around 10 degrees higher. I can't imagine how uncomfortable I'd feel if it hits 35 as it often does ?!? Anyway today is much cooler, plenty of cloud in the sky and a nice breeze which mean covering up a bit more but certainly nowhere near getting the gloves out.

The walk down to town from my studio is really rather pleasant. Yesterday I took the beach route which was lovely but such hard work, I never remember quite how difficult and demanding it is walking on sand, especially on a hot day.



I ended up leaving the beach and finishing the rest via the footpath and from there you have this great view across the bay and you can just about see the city skyline of Melbourne. Pretty sure my iPhone camera is not going to pick that up but I assure you it's there somewhere...



I'll get some more pictures of Mornington town later today when I've finished up here and post them up when I can. Once you see some I'm sure you'll see what I mean when I say there is a good deal of American influence.

The walk back to the studio is somewhat different in terms of elevation. I was absolutely knackered when I got back there yesterday...I was sweating like Homer Simpson in a doughnut factory !!!!

One thing I have been doing is eating well. I'm absolutely loving my little BBQ area at the studio, slightly concerned that there might be some meanies in there wanting to have me for dinner though.

I'm not entirely sure it is a BBQ to be honest, it's more like one of those gas fired hot plates that you see in burger vans. I adore it though and I want to get one at home.

A word of warning though to those who like their vices and are considering Australia as a residence or for a holiday it's very expensive for things that are bad for you. A packet of 25 B&H cigarettes is around £14 and you're looking at around £5 or £6 for a beer too. As for other things that of course I'd have no interest in at all being a good boy but I know a few readers might be eager to know these things.......I did overhear somebody suggesting $350 a pop....and that's not Colombian dollars either !!!

1 comment:

  1. Are you paying over $5 / pack of cigs? I'm buying my cigs at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 70% on cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete