Monday 4 April 2011

Normality resumes....

3 weeks away and back to work this morning. I have quite a bit of jetlag but the work diary is pretty full so I should be nicely busy today which will keep me alert and awake.

After getting home from Heathrow on Saturday morning I spent the day snuggled up on the sofa with my wonderful lady watching a fantastic game of cricket, well I watched some of it in between dozing off.

During this I took a DJ booking for that evening at Sakura in Reading. Pretty quiet in there it was too. Also I was asked to play more charty music which firstly I don't have and secondly I will never have because to me if a song gets into the charts these days it's because, it's anti-music, it's rubbish, it's dross, it's boring, it's predictable......it's just shit. I'm not selling out even more than I have already regardless of the payment.

I mean it's not as if I was playing anything other than what you'd find on the average (or distinctly lower than average) Hed Kandi compilation and even when I stopped playing the good quality house music that had foots tapping and people clapping the atmosphere in the room vanished. So my advice to them would be to just save money and don't book a DJ at all. Just have a compilation CD playing in the background or rig up some kind of automated DJ program. Trying to fix things that are not broken has never been a good thing to do in my opinion.

I understand what they want to do and I'm not upset by it at all and I really mean mean that but with all the sincerity in the world I'm just not the man to do it. Good luck to them :-)

Apart from that I do have some good gigs coming up where I have free reign to get the crowd motivated and of course I'm really looking forward too. This Saturday I once again have the pleasure of sharing the DJ booth at the club I call home with one of my dance music heros Brandon Block over at Bar Mango in Reading. It's always nice to see your name on a flyer under someone like Blocko. Hopefully he'll pull in a crowd and we can all have a wonderfully fun night.





Set times for this are not yet announced but when they are I'm sure they will be posted on the Facebook event page here. I'm thinking a classic house set is really the only way to go here and I'm already getting a nice selection of tunes prepared. If you liked my Remix/Remode mix CD then this will be the kind of night you'll be loving.


After that I have another booking at the same venue for Voodoo's 5th birthday. This event is a very special one because it is also a fundraiser for the promotor's (and good friends) campaign to raise funds for his partners treatment as she is a sufferer of multiple sclerosis. Again you can check the Facebook event page here and if your around please do come down and support this tremendously worthy cause.





For this event I'll be showing my tech house/techno side out in the garden so expect some heavy Sven Vath/Cocoon influence going on. I simply cannot think of any place in the area that even gets close to the Bar Mango terrace. It's always been a very special place for me and I'm just itching to get out there again.

After a couple of years finding it's way it seems Bar Mango has got it's legs back which is good for everybody in my opinion. For me it's still the only venue in the town dedicated to clubbers rather than drinkers out on a jolly. It's a place to go to hear what'll be listed on compilations and blasting out of other bars in a 6 months to a years time once David Guetta has bunged some cheesey vocals over it :-)

Back to my other love.....FOOD

This Wednesday coming I shall be judge and compare for heat 3 of round 1 of the 2011 Reading, Steady, Cook competition. The heat is being held at the marvellous "Tutu's Ethiopian Table". Having taken part in this myself last year I know how nervous the contestants will be so if you have time please do come down and give them a bit of support. It's a great little competition and being part of it again this year is just a fantastic honour.

The Facebook event page for this heat is here so click attending and lets get a few along and maybe have a glass or two of wine afterwards :-)

For more information about this event and it's culmination at the Eat Reading festival pop along to this site. It's dedicated to highlighting all the opportunites our fantastic town has to offer be that business or pleasure.

Toodlepip xx

No comments:

Post a Comment