Thursday 22 July 2010

Banking....

Due to me losing my bank card this morning I had to visit my branch to transfer some funds to another account. While I was standing outside with my cup of tea waiting for it to open along with several other people it occurred to me that it would be far more beneficial to the bank and it's customers if the opened earlier, when people weren't at work !!

I mean how hard could that be to implement? You could have a half the people who normally work there start at 7am and finish at 3pm then the rest 9am to 5pm that way the busier lunchtimes would be covered by the same amount of staff and customers would not have to take time off work because they could do their banking bits before going.

Just thinking from the staff side it must be better for them too. If you rotated it so that each team did a week of early starts followed by a week of late starts or even let them sort it out between themselves then they'd be able to make time to do things they might not normally be able to do like pick the kids up from school, get to the high street shops before they shut, get a haircut...the list is endless.

For the bank it'd mean less people having to do their banking at the weekends so lower staffing requirements and of not that at least it'll ease the pressure on the current workforce and be a boost for morale.

I have no problem at all with the people who work in my bank (Santander) they were positively excellent, very helpful and made things very easy for me being a relative bank counter novice but I'd much rather have got there at 7am and not had to then rush into work.

Unless there is somekind of strict legislation that restricts banks opening hours then I might very well just forward this to all high street banks and see what they say.

1 comment: