Tuesday 10 January 2012

Settled....

Tuesdays are usually quite good fun for me because I get to cook our eldest her dinner after her swimming lesson. She is a very fussy eater which I think is born out of habit rather than anything else and as she only came into my life a few years ago I didn't get the chance to influence her early on. I fully intend to have the youngest on fois gras and turbot the moment she gets to solids!

I try and keep away from the easy to cook and completely boring comfort foods but even I like the odd fish finger now and again. I'm still undecided as to what to rustle up for her but I think I've settled on venison for my good lady and myself with some potato wedges oven roasted in duck fat. I think I'll serve it up with just some steamed veg and a caper sauce which I've just remembered from an old Keith Floyd show.

So with that in mind I suppose I could just quickly fan fry a nice fresh fillet of fish for the fussy one and she can have that with some of the potato wedges and some delightful tinned sweetcorn....oooooh how yummy. Still miles better than junk food I suppose. I might even stock up on tomato sauce as we've not had any in the house for a couple of weeks. With gifts like that it'll be just like Christmas all over again.

Shouldn't there be any venison at Waitrose which I have to say is quite likely because the Twyford branch don't seem to be very well stocked on the game front then I might go for a pork fillet. I bought this sachet of BBQ rub made by Weber, the same people that make the actual BBQ's, it says it's an intensely hot chilli rub on the packet and with pork and spice being a very good match it could be worth a go. I'll have to change the sauce mind you but the potatoes should still work fine.

The next question of course is do I get some vino ?!?! I feel like a glass or three........

No comments:

Post a Comment