Thursday 2 September 2010

Interview....

Well today is the day that the interview I did for the radio gets broadcast.

Firstly it's not a massive national radio but a small internet based community radio for the Reading area but I assume it can be listened to from far and wide.

It's going out between 12pm and 2pm on reading4u.org.

For my international readers -

10pm - Melbourne
5am - L.A. (I'll get a recording)
2pm - Germany

Helen Wright is the presenter of the local food show and she wanted to talk to us about the Reading, Steady, Cook! Competition that we took part in last year. It was all very nice and we each did a little chat on the things we cooked (or organised in Abby's case) and the whole experience.

I think the competition part and interviews are going to be covered in the first 30 mins of the show.

After that we did a bit of cake eating and reviewing. Pretty sure I made some rather silly comments because both the Apple and Walnut Cake and Chocolate Brownie we're fantastic.

I'll try and get the names of the companies that supplied them. They were both organic, small independents. They both do mail order I believe, infact I think one of them does a cake basket scheme pretty similar to the vegetable basket schemes from people like Riverford etc etc.

I'll try and get the names of both and links to websites and post them up later.

Also yesterday I did one of my favourite things to do in the whole world and that is buy cookery books.

I needed to get some about running a professional kitchen, I still need more of these, especially books that regard food safety practices but I also got a couple that I just know are going to inspire me.

Check them out if you like a good cookbook -

‎1. The Science of Good Food: The Ultimate Reference on How Cooking Works by David Joachim, Andrew Schloss
2. Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen
3. French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David
4. The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit

I absolutely adore all Elizabeth David books. The way she writes them is so personal and the stories told within the recipes themselves can somehow magically take you there to where she is making the dish...Such a wonderful woman.

The Flavour Thesaurus is one I'm eager to get reading. It lists pages upon pages of food combinations. I've only scanned through it quickly in the book shop and there are some classic ones as well as some very obscure ones that I'm keen to experiment with.

Gonna take while to get through them all but I'll let you know how I get on.

Anyway would lovely if any of you could get to listen to the radio show and maybe add some comments to the shows/stations messageboard.

The organisers of the competition are keen to get going on the 2011 competition and want to make it even bigger and better this time around so if anybody is interested in taking part please do let me know and I'll forward you the relevant contacts or have the organisers contact yourselves.

Hopefully I'll be ineligible due when it comes round again because of course I hope to be a professional by that time and the competition is only open to amateurs....Maybe I can be a venue for the heats ...... Now there's an idea !?!?

2 comments:

  1. http://www.happycakes.biz/ are the ones that do the cake box scheme.
    Vesna's cakes are available at True Food Co-op (see truefood.coop for opening times and places)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're ever in Notting Hill, visit this place for thousands of new and second hand cookery books (plus food - they've got a test kitchen where they try recipes from the books from their shelves). It's fab....
    http://www.booksforcooks.com/

    ReplyDelete