Thursday 13 January 2011

Cameo...

So I've just got back from Pinewood studios after completing a sound check on a rather good new film and although I'm not at all mystical or religious in any way the odd thing that just happens by coincidence does fill me with a little bit of joy.

I was thinking whilst driving through Slough and a miserable, wet and cold January day how nice it would be to be magically transported to one of my favourite places on earth, that being Bora Bora beach bar in Playa Den Bossa, Ibiza.

So about an hour or so into the film there is a nightclub scene and who's there making a cameo appearance in the role of "Club DJ"?....................Oliver Lang, resident DJ and all round legend of Bora Bora beach bar in Playa Den Bossa, Ibiza.

Spooky Huh? Incidentally one of the tunes he is playing in the club scene is one of his own remixes of Blue Monday by New Order but I cannot find it anywhere on the t'interweb....very good though and I definitely want a copy.

The film by the way is called "Unknown" which stars Liam Neeson and it's due for release in February (official release dates here)

Following on from my good buddy James' blog post about Tescos I thought I might add my tuppence worth but this time concerning Waitrose....

Firstly I like them, they are my number one choice of supermarket without question but I do have a couple of gripes with them. The first is that they try far too hard to be nice and secondly is that they put people under the age of 18 on the express counters.

Now you might think that I'm being a little grumpy and perhaps I am because when I do my shopping I want to get my stuff off the shelves, pay for it and leave, I don't want somebody asking me how my day has been or enquiring as to my weekend plans whilst I'm at it and that's just on the normal counters..!!!

I most definitely do not want some spotty 16 year old asking me these exact same questions on the express counters. Especially since I've invariably been held up in the queue for ages whilst they all get permission to serve the booze people want and the cigarettes that are only sold from the very counters that they work on because they are not bloomin old enough to serve them without approval of somebody older........(and breath)

You can't even put the kids onto the main counters either because imagine what it'd be like with the oldies on the express counters?!?! They'd be wanting to tell you about their grandchildren and how their cat got stuck up a tree in 1964 etc etc....you'd never get away.

So the simple answer to fix all this is to just stop trying to be so bloody nice.

Just serve people and let them go on their way. I hardly think that your average Waitrose shopper is going to bugger off to one of the other supermarkets just because he or she didn't form a lasting bond with a high school student or retired post worker when buying their basketful/trolleyful of vastly expensive but superior quality produce.

I'm not going to stop using them because of it but I do find myself hoping that I don't get served by certain people in the express queue because I know I'm going to get asked the same generic questions. Half these people I wouldn't chat to if I was drunk in a pub let alone in a supermarket stone cold sober and gasping for a ciggie.

That's it..........rant over :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment