Tuesday 31 August 2010

Back to Work....

Phew....

Never have I been happier to get back to work! Spent the majority of the weekend horizontal in my bed feeling ill.

I have this really annoying chesty cough thing going on and a one of those headaches that makes your scalp all sensitive, it's not altogether very pleasant but I really didn't help myself by going out for a few beers after DJ'ing on Saturday. Should have trusted my instincts and gone home like a good boy.

Yesterday evening my car decided that it would prefer to not start so that had to be taken to the garage over the road from our house first thing this morning. So I dropped my keys off to Paddy our lovely local mechanic, neighbourhood watch executive and all round nice fellow explaining the problem I had....

Starter motor just spinning, not catching enough to get the engine turning over etc etc

About 10 minutes later I get a call from Paddy...."Ben I've just checked out your car...turned over first time...and about 25 times consistently after that"

"Hmmmmmmmmm..............How much to fit a new starter motor anyway because there is definitely a problem with it?"

"In excess of £300.00 I should imagine..........probably about £350.00"

"Might as well go ahead and do it Paddy cause I don't want it happening again somewhere remote"................Whince

Anyway that was the least of my worries because what awaited was a dreaded trip on British public transport.

Train stations make me laugh in a way because it's such a hive of activity and it's all completely avoidable.

Firstly people just need to get up earlier and give themselves plenty of time. It'd save all the running about and rushing around. I saw so many guys in suits doing the "Run for the train - Run a bit faster when you realise it's going - then the inevitable........slowly grind into a walk trying to look cool and make out like nobody has seen you massively fail." You guys crack me up :-)

Then there are the women who are late. Of course it's the trains fault for not waiting and not theirs for having the extra press on the snooze button or the having that one (completely unnecessary) extra moan at the henpecked husband.

Of course though the biggest spanners in the works are the staff employed by network rail. I think their slogan should be "Network Rail - Making the Unemployable Employable"

Take anyone of these workers and put them in any other work environment and they just wouldn't have a clue.............I blame the unions....Bring back Maggie ;-)

However one major plus one has when one takes the locomotive from Reading to Sunny Twyford is that you get the opportunity to purchase a rather yummy Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Bagel from the kiosk in Reading Station.

Made my morning that did. Still about £350.00 down on the day but a simple Bagel made me cheer up a bit. I think anybody reading this should go out right now and get one.

Good day to you lovely beings xx

No comments:

Post a Comment