Monday 2 August 2010

A good weekend and a Restaurant review

Very enjoyable weekend all told. Most of Sunday was spent nursing a headache from a rather fun Saturday.

Was going to head off to Cardiff on Saturday for an evening as my Cricket club were on their annual tour but after finding out that people were heading home and the tour party was thinning out I decided to instead give myself a little pamper in the form of a nice big lunch at Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant in Reading.

I really did enjoy it as you can see by my review here on my Facebook page

Following that I headed over to The Ivory Lounge to meet up with a friend and share a couple of beers in what was a simply glorious day in Reading.

My buddy shifted off to get changed ready for his evenings DJ work at The Walkabout so I headed over to Jongluers comedy club where another friend is the sound & lighting tech for the comedy shows and the DJ for downstairs afterwards and that was a scream.

Can remember the last time I saw real comedy being performed. The compere John Mann was very good and a really nice fella to boot. Didn't believe him when he said he had a pet Lion until he showed me the photos. I mean how can you take it seruously when a comedian tells you he's got a pet Lion ?!?! There has to be a punchline somewhere but not in this case he really does.

Quite a few Stag and Hen parties in there which can of course be fun but it does mean that you get loads of really bad, uninteligent heckling. One group were particulaly bad but they were soon silenced by the headline act Steve Williams very good he was. That link isn't for his official site because to be honest it's rubbish.

Once he'd finished we headed over to The Walkabout where after waiting about 15 minutes to get a drink at the bar it was promptly knocked out of my hand so not really wanting to wait another 15 minutes for a new libation we headed over to Sakura

Usual fare here with some commercial but credible house music being played to the young and the beautiful. Spent the majority of the time here chatting with the new general manager and another DJ friend of mine who was on VIP room duty just as I will be this Friday coming.

Next stop Bar Mango. Was pretty busy, some alternative 70's music outside, mixture of soul classics and a bit of disco and inside I have to say not really all that inspiring but we stayed for quite a while chatting with people we know including the owner who really is a nice guy once you get to know him and the uber gay barman who had a night off and had got himself all dresses up for a night on the tiles....bless. He was worried about his mascara running!

OK plans for next week mainly revolve around a recipe I have been given for Cassoulet to test out for the Facebook page and also we have some friends coming over for dinner on Saturday and although I'm pretty settled on the menu it could change and most probably will.

Until tomorrow....toodle pip

1 comment:

  1. It's not Jongleurs any more!! Its called HIGHLIGHT!! Cheers for the review tho Benski!!! rich.

    ReplyDelete