Thursday 5 August 2010

What shall I cook tonight !?!?

Well it needs to be quite quick as I still have things to prepare for Sundays entertaining as well as my two DJ gigs this weekend.

I definitely think I chose the wrong time to go all "Heston" in the kitchen and also re-arrange my complete back catalog of records.....

So..........

I'm gonna go for Herb-crusted Cod Fillet with Braised Fennel and a Cherry Tomato and Basil Dressing.

Should be pretty simple to do. I'll just herb crust the top of the Cod Fillet, probably with just breadcrumbs and a bit of Oregano, Sea Salt, Black Pepper and all stuck on with some whisked egg.

I'll cook the Cod only so it's just about done all the way through but not so much that the Cod Flakes lose their slight transparency...is opaqueness the right word ?!?

The Fennel I'll just slice fairly thin, boil for a few minutes then sauté for a few seconds in butter.

Tomato Dressing can be made up in the same sauté pan as I did the Fennel in. I'll just squeeze a few Cherry Tomatoes into the pan, add a dash of Balsamic Vinegar and some seasoning then a few torn Basil leaves. Turn the heat right up and let it reduce for a minute or two so the juice thickens up and that'll be the base of the dish.

On top of that a pile of the Braised Fennel and top that with the Cod Fillet. Drizzle the whole lot with Olive Oil and maybe a couple of small Basil Leaves for garnish and jobs a good'un.

Probably a really cold Sauvignon Blanc with this little beauty.

Oh.....Anybody hungry again?

2 comments:

  1. Ben,
    Do you saute your fennel in butter?
    Regards
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but only for about 30 seconds and after giving it a quick blanch in some boiling water to soften it. Let it dry for a bit before sauté'ing otherwise it'll spit at you like an irate footballer.

    ReplyDelete