Saturday 14 August 2010

Business plan......

So I'm guessing part of my business plan for a pub should be aimed at how we can build on the current custom and introduce more ways of appealing to a greater demographic.

Our priority pub for now does have a regular trade albeit slow trade and it appeals in the main to an upper age group. This is how I view it having been in there a couple of times recently and without seeing any barralage or takings figures to prove anything to contrary.

The food offering in my opinion could do with some variation and I can't see a rapid change or need for anything other than basic pub grub but I'd still like to slowly introduce some other things.

The menu seems to be mainly made up of frozen or pre-cooked items which are bought from a wholesaler or cash and carry. I'd like to quickly bring the entire menu round to being completely homemade and using only the freshest ingredients from the local producers.

I'm loathed to think about changing the decor in one of the areas because it does have a nice snug bar feel to it and is very traditional, maybe a few touches here and there to make it more ergonomic for staff to clear and survey.

The restaurant area needs a major overhaul. At present it's very much stuck in around the 1940's, I'd like to completely modernise this so much as to highlight the distinct differences between the two trading areas.

At the moment this area feels like exactly what it is......a Saloon bar.

This needs to look and feel like a restaurant. Complete re-decoration needed and of course this need factoring into the costs.

Also I noticed that it has no heating so this will definitely need sorting because I see the cold winters as a good time to be selling hearty pub dishes. This cannot happen in a freezing cold environment.

The Toilets also need to have more light and they also need to be modernised and made to be more attractive. So much attention needs to be paid to this area in any venue I think. Currently they are there, they are functional but they need to have much more class about them than they do now.

Not had a chance to look upstairs in the living accommodation yet but in my experience this area is the one most often neglected by tenants and I'm expecting it to need completely redecorating to give it a more homely and welcoming feeling to my family.

Security cannot be overlooked, especially with children. I'll be wanting to ensure that all areas of the pub and car park are fully covered by CCTV with night vision and motion sensors. I'm not prepared to compromise anything on security. I know exactly what I want and if the business plan doesn't reflect it then it'll be pointless.

So how do we do all this????..........Well I have some ideas but never having run a business before let alone a pub maybe some of you have some pointers.

Next time I'll blog my solutions to all the above.

2 comments:

  1. Check out the Lyndhirst in Reading if you want to see a successful change around. It used to be a horrible old mans pub but has changed into an amazing food and evening drinking hole for all kinds of people. The decor is amazing as is the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with a little help from your friends!!

    ReplyDelete